Saturday, March 16, 2013

It's all HGTV's fault!!

Where do I get off thinking I can be a General Contractor with zippo experience? I'll tell you where I get this false confidence. It's from Love It or List It, Renovation Realities, Rehab Addict ... basically every show I've ever seen on HGTV or DIY.

And the Property Brothers? They're the worst. Jonathan and Drew, with their cute personalities and even cuter posteriors lure me into their rehab reality with the siren's song of sledge hammers and electric drills. Even the most complicated reno is neatly resolved within 60 minutes, and that includes the commercials.

And now I've gotten my innocent husband, Mr. Hubby, deluded as well. He thinks we can make this renovation work. He's even asked me to start referring to him as Destructo Boy and has conjured up romantic encounters where I'm a lonely housewife and he's the buff handyman.

The house in question is a 1978 pseudo-beauty that's on a tree-lined street we've admired for years. When we first went to the open house, we laughed at the red shag carpet, patriotic bathroom and mod-squad wallpaper. But even as we were chuckling, I couldn't get a certain word out of my head: POTENTIAL. I envisioned what the house COULD be, not caring a lick about its current state.

So here we are, almost a year after that open house. The house stayed on the market while I dealt with a cancer scare that took me away from house hunting for quite a while. I think the house was waiting for us to be its rightful owners. Mr. Hubby thinks no one else was crazy enough to buy it.

This will either be the smartest move we've ever made or will have us throwing away money like a small town heaving sandbags before the great flood.


Either way, it's going to be an adventure, and isn't that what life is all about??

2 comments:

  1. You are such a great writer!! And I love your photo. Can't wait to keep reading...

    ReplyDelete