Tuesday, November 26, 2013

I Love When an Idea Works!

I love when repurposing an item around the house saves money AND lets you pay homage to the previous home owner.

That's exactly what I was able to do with the piece of wood that once held a metal bar in the master bathroom. The bar was used to help the previous owner stand up after a visit to the royal throne.

Although that may not be an ideal way to remember the man who built the current Rearick Family Estate, the previous owner was supposed to be a pretty crotchety old guy, so maybe it IS quite fitting.

Anyway, I knew that the piece of wood should get a second life. Inspiration hit, and I thought what a cool hat rack it would make for the foyer.

So after some wood filling and sanding, I was ready to use my Annie Sloan chalk paint once again. I wanted a ''found this at a flea market'' kind of shabby chic, so I dry brushed (using very little paint) parts of it Paris grey, while painting the middle white. I then scuffed it up some with sand paper to give it that patina-ed look.

Mr. Hubby then attached it to the wall after drilling in the hooks.

I'm pretty proud of the results. I still have to touch up a little damage from the drill, but other than that, it's good to go.

So the next time you find something at your house that's old or not useful anymore, think if you can use it in another way. You just might surprise yourself.

Wishing everyone a safe, happy and creative Thanksgiving!!!

Before



After


No comments:

Post a Comment