Wednesday, November 6, 2013

If At First You Don't Succeed ...

I assume that many inventors and scientists, the great minds of our past and present, had many goofs before they shouted "Eureka!" in the bathtub.

That's where I am right now: The Great Chalk Paint Experiment hasn't gone according to plan, but I'm not giving up yet, especially because I've painted about one-fifth of the foyer floor, so there's no going back now.

But I have learned a lot from my mistakes of today. First, I need to do more prep. I did wash the floors pretty thoroughly (for me, anyway) with trisodium phosphate (TSP), the heavy duty cleaner trusted by most painting professionals (I hope).

Then I did some taping around the baseboards. But I didn't prime the floors, so the paint didn't want to adhere very well. Plus, I didn't have a great roller or quality nylon brush (recommended by the chalk paint creator herself, Annie Sloan) or a brush small enough to do a good job on the grout.

Also, I don't think I like the color; it's a little more yellow than cream. So I may pick up another hue and maybe even mix them (insert inventor creepy laugh here).

So it's back to the drawing board tomorrow. It'll start with a trip to the hardware store, and then the insanity will begin again -- Part Deux ...

The foyer floor, as I'm waiting for it to dry after cleaning; then the partially painted floor without priming.



No comments:

Post a Comment