Friday, July 19, 2013

Buy One, Get One Free

The flooring guys were back at it today, finishing up the repair. I don't know how well it's worked -- we're not allowed to walk on it until tomorrow.

Maybe that's part of their fiendish plan. They actually didn't make one darn change -- they just created a lot of noise and sweated profusely. Now they're heading to Vegas during this "Do Not Disturb'' interlude, never to be seen again.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. But in the meantime, there's yet another reason to eat out; they did some work right in front of the refrigerator. Now I ask you, how can you prepare a healthy, veggie and fruit-rich meal without a fridge? So we're restaurant-bound yet again. But after this super-hot day, I'm not minding too much, as you might be able to tell.

As the guys were doing their thing, one of them approached me with a sheepish look on his face. "While I was outside plugging in the extension cord,'' he sayed coyly, ''I accidentally tripped the circuit and turned on your fountain.''

Well, two things came to mind as he talked. 1) Why did he feel the need to use an outside outlet, when there are about 2,000 of them indoors. And 2) we were about to call an electrician to get the fountain working. And he did it accidentally. What a hoot! (OK, my sense of humor has been permanently warped by this reno, so you may not find the irony of this situation, or am I being Alanis Morissette?)

So tomorrow my plans have changed. Instead of painting for the zillionth time, I'll be donning rubber gloves and cleaning out the nastiness that is the neglected water feature. Goodness knows what I'll find, maybe the greatest compost in the world. Then I'll attack the fountain with vinegar and a brush. Wonder if I can channel Tom Sawyer and somehow get LevelHead Jr. to do it. Doubt it, she'll see right through me, one of the downsides of having an intelligent child ...

The fountain, complete with murky water and general putridness of an unknown source ...



No comments:

Post a Comment