Friday, July 12, 2013

I'll See It When I Believe It

This blog is quickly becoming a study in the power of positive thinking.

I decided that just because we've had some glitches along the way doesn't mean that every contractor is in cahoots to derail our progress.

So I started saying things like ''when the countertops arrive tomorrow'' instead of ''if'', and I'll be diddly darned if the installers didn't show up bright and early Wednesday morning to work their magic.

Well, that is, they installed our quartz when they weren't taking potty breaks. The first guy asked if he could use the bathroom within twenty minutes of arriving. About a half hour after that, the second guy requested the same but couldn't get in because the first guy was back at it. Apparently, countertop installation is as effective as fiber for regularity.

But in between flushes, they installed a beautiful countertop -- it's just what I wanted.

And as I write, TJ the plumber is installing our faucet and disposal -- meaning we will have a working kitchen within the hour. Hallelujah!!

Plus, Mr. Honest and his son Kip have finished about 95% of their cabinet work, so it's beyond a functional kitchen; it even looks good too. But I do feel bad. I overheard the two talking (I don't think they knew I was within listening distance), saying that this job has taken way more time than Mr. Honest had anticipated and he's not making much money on the project.

I feel awful. He has gone so beyond the call of duty for me that I certainly don't want him to lose money on the deal. I should have known when his price came in well below half of what Lowe's was going to charge. So I asked him to think about what he would have priced it at, knowing what he knows now. We're supposed to talk this morning.

Since we're spending so much money on this kitchen (under-estimated cabinets notwithstanding), I have to start looking for some deals on the other stuff needed for the house. I found a great area rug at overstock.com, but that's not quite the savings I need, so I'm becoming a Craig's List girl. I've never been before.

I found some bar stools that looked pretty good, so I texted the guy, and we arranged a time to meet. Mr. Hubby let me go by myself -- I'm guessing he thought it would be the perfect crime: the Craig's List dude would do off with me, and The Hubster couldn't be accused of wrongdoing.

But my first CL friend didn't kill me; he merely pulled the two chairs out of his touring flea market truck and let me look at them. One of the stools had a big water stain on the top, so I didn't purchase. But after I got home, I had the idea that I could paint the wicker tops, so I texted him again and asked if he'd take half-price. He didn't respond.

I think he quickly pegged me as one of those picky women who would never be satisfied. How he saw straight through me so quickly, I'll never know.

But I'm not that easily deterred, so I found a table on The List and am arranging to go see it today. This time I'm forcing Mr. Hubby to go with me since the seller won't meet me in the grocery store parking lot like the traveling yard sale guy did. I have to go to his house. I guess Mr. H realizes that he'd be questioned by the police a little too closely about why he let me go to this unknown person's home alone.

But I digress from the kitchen's progress. All we need now is a butcher block countertop for the island; the people that did the quartz said it could take up to a month to get, so I'm going to look at some other companies.

But I'm still a very happy General Contractor today. And if I survive my Craig's List adventure, I may be a very happy table owner too. If I don't post anything for a week, you'll know the CL guy has kidnapped me and run off to, hopefully, the Bahamas. But still give Mr. Hubby a hard time; he'll be enjoying himself WAY too much without my lovable nagging ...

The quartz is in! The faucet is in! The bills are in!





No comments:

Post a Comment