Tuesday, July 9, 2013

From Pink Pig to Pigtails

Mr. Hubby reminded me over the weekend that last year at this time I was in the hospital recovering from major surgery.

How far I've come, if I do say so myself -- from being told I had ovarian cancer (which I didn't) to being the general contractor on our house renovation. I feel very healthy most of the time, despite a little insanity here and there. But that makes life interesting, right? Don't tell The Hubster I said that.

After surgery, I spent a good amount of time in bed with a pig beanie baby held close to my incision. It was a gift from my former boss. In addition to providing a nice amount of pressure, which felt good, you could heat it up for some added warmth.

Flash forward one year: yesterday I ran an errand for the plumber who was in need of an electrical device called a pigtail. I'm not making this up. It's a little gizmo with a grounded plug-in on one side and wires on the other. He needed it for the dishwasher disconnect required by the county inspector.

As I was going from store to store (it's hard to find a pigtail for a dishwasher apparently), the thought of my surgery pig, with its own little cute tail, made me stop and think.

I'm so grateful for the outcome of my cancer scare. But I know there are thousands of women who aren't so lucky. I think of them a lot and wish them strength and courage to face each and every battle they're forced to fight on their road to recovery. Unfortunately, some of them won't be on the winning side, in terms of health.

But what lessons they will learn about life. I learned a few of them just having the scare: hug the people you love every day, try not to get too upset about those stones life likes to throw at us and whatever we do, be grateful for every breath we're blessed to take.

Whoa, didn't mean this to get all preachy. Just feeling great about how far I've come since last year.

Tomorrow I'll be back to the reno game. The countertops are supposed to be here!!! But tonight I want to concentrate on what I have right now -- and I don't mean cabinets and lights.

I'm talking about the best husband and kid a girl could ask for -- plus my family and friends.

Wishing everyone their own pig moments tonight!

My friend, Pinky the Pig ...

No comments:

Post a Comment