Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dogless Days of Summer

We enjoyed our first real meal in the new kitchen tonight -- it involved boiled water, people! We haven't seen that in six weeks. Mr. Hubby made simple pasta, but LevelHead Jr. and I gave it five stars. In fact, LHJ ate three helpings after crying out "real food!!"

I meant to post last night, but LevelHead Canine had different plans. The Hubster and I have been working with LHC on learning the boundaries of the wireless pet containment system (translation: a box in the living room emits a sound and then a mild zap if she moves beyond The Circle of Non-Zapping around the house). It's like an electric fence, but if she goes beyond the limit, it keeps giving her electrified reasons to come back to base. It doesn't hurt her, and I wouldn't normally be in favor of such a device, but she's such an escape artist, we had no choice.

So we're in the backyard last night, commenting about how nice it will be to give her some space outdoors where she can sniff and play. No sooner had the words come out of our mouths when she saw a deer and took off like a state employee who's earned a sick day.

Walking around the neighborhood in search of our deer hunter, we heard her barking but never did see her. She actually stayed out all night. I woke up at three in the morning wondering if she had been mauled by a deer or run over by a car.

Dawn came, and still no LHC. I thought she was long gone or long dead, neither of which would be good for LHJ. But mid-morning, a neighbor came and asked if LHC was missing. Turns out another neighbor we haven't met yet woke up to find an exhausted beast on her deck.

She slept all day and has a really bad limp when she tries to walk. We'll see if that gets better in the next couple of days. So relieved she's OK. Next time we want to attach DogCam to her collar so we can enjoy her exploits when she finally returns.

Wow, I totally got off-subject with that story. Back to the house. I've been trying to save money everywhere I can now that the unavoidable costs have been incurred. My latest endeavor has been a mirror for LevelHead Jr.'s bathroom.

I found a great mirror at a flea market -- perfect size for the space and perfect price for my budget -- just the wrong color. So I decided to spray paint it glossy white. I think it turned out pretty darn well for a non-crafty girl. I'm hoping this will be just the beginning of my cost-saving measures. Next on my list: paint the dining room table I got free from my former neighbor.

But back to the dog for just a second: I know this post is not exactly a stellar ad for the product, but if anyone is in need of a wireless pet containment system, we've got one really cheap. And it may work just great for you, especially is your friend is old ... OK, make that really old ... OK, make that unable to walk ...

My mirror project: before and after -- no comments on the legs, please.



1 comment:

  1. As a state employee, I take offense. Oh, wait, gotta go, I'm on break.

    ReplyDelete