Wednesday, July 24, 2013

If Walls Could Talk ...

The hardwood floors are as good as they're gonna get. The repair dudes did a great job fixing the entrance to the living room -- it's all nice and level, but I can tell exactly where they stopped their work, thanks to the little dip that's still present.

Maybe I'm just too picky. I've probably said this a million times already, but if I had to do over again, I would rip out all the bad sub-flooring, replace it and have nailed hardwoods installed. But until I get my time machine perfected, the floating floors and I will have to learn to peacefully co-exist.

So let's move on to another room ... while I attended Chiggerpalooza at the fountain over the weekend, Mr. Hubster was painting the master bedroom. This may seem like a fairly straight-forward project, but the walls in that room are crazy-weird. When you move the roller one direction, you apply paint; when you move it the opposite way, the paints comes back off about half the time -- and often with a good amount of drywall.

I didn't have any problems when I painted below the chair rail in the same room last week (don't ask me why the previous owners installed a chair rail in a bedroom, but with all the projects to be done, we decided to leave it). The only difference we can pinpoint is wallpaper -- we had removed wallpaper where The Hubster was painting, but not where I had been.

So we're not sure what came first: did the previous owners hang wallpaper because the walls had issues, or were the walls being difficult because there was still lingering adhesive? That may be one of life's great unanswered questions.

But in the end, Mr. Hubby persevered, and the walls look great. Plus, we removed the funeral parlor drapes and replaced them with some sheers so the backyard view wouldn't be blocked.

I've got some before and after pics below, but please keep in mind that the room hasn't been decorated, just painted. I made the bed so it at least looked presentable. And if you look closely, you can see fabric wrapped around the existing small pillow; my intention is to sew a pillow cover -- that will probably be a blog post in and of itself since I don't sew ...











No comments:

Post a Comment