Monday, August 26, 2013

A Lethagic Litany

Had a fantabulous time roaming around HomeGoods this weekend in the big city -- I had this goofy smile on my face that must have appeared as complete insanity to my fellow shoppers.

But my excursion also made me face a Carrie Bradshaw-type revelation: how can I be so perky and energized while shopping but so easily distracted and tired when there are not-so-glamorous jobs to do at home? Like when I should be painting trim in our bedroom, I become obsessed with Facebook and cannot get my butt to move an inch off the couch.

There's only one plausible explanation: I'm lazy -- really, really lazy. I've always known that I had a tendency toward the comatose side of the energy spectrum. But when I was diagnosed with neurological problems several years ago, of which fatigue can be a symptom, I thought, "Aha, that's why I crave naps instead of exercise classes and the reason I'd much rather watch a cooking show on TV than get out the roasting pan myself.

But now I'm questioning that diagnosis -- not the medical one; rather, the excuse it gives me to sit on my bony underside way too much. If I can be so energetic doing something I like, then it's clearly not a question of feeling tired all the time. Instead, I'm self-diagnosing myself with Selective Fatigue.

Like right now, I should be emptying the dishwasher before work. But, no, I've convinced myself that this blog entry, including the ability to keep my arse right where it is, is way more important than household chores.

What can I do to change my sedentary ways when it comes to the mundane parts of renovation? I always think of that arthritis medicine commercial (I see a lot of ads during my TV marathons) that talks about a body in motion tending to stay in motion. That's so true. It's just that initial push to start the movement that I have a problem with.

Maybe I'm being too hard on myself. But who else is there to blame? I guess instead of sitting here, self-analyzing, which by the way doesn't involve actually doing anything, I should get over to that dishwasher.

I have a friend who says that she keeps herself going throughout the day because she knows once she sits down, it's all over. I need to adopt that attitude myself. I could also try Dr. Phil's "Fake It 'Til You Feel It" advice: in my case, if I get going as if I have energy with boring tasks, I eventually will.

So wish me luck today. I'm hoping to go to work, clean part of the house and lift weights, as well as making a renovation to-do list for the week. You know, that to-do list will allow me to keep sitting on this couch, so maybe I should start with that ...



No comments:

Post a Comment