Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I Have To Be Level -- It's My Name!

First, let me admit that I'm a little distracted right now. I'm in hot negotiation for a Craig's List coffee table for the living room. It's actually a dining table -- but we (OK, Mr. Hubby) can cut off the legs to a coffee table height. That way, it can be nice and big, just the way I want it.

My CL obsession has gotten so intense that I now look at catalogs and think, "how boring; anyone can just BUY a table'' -- how much more exciting to purchase it from an individual who may or may not want to kill you. Plus, you can get it at a great price and have an interesting story to tell (well, that is, if you survive the transaction -- if not, it's one heck of a funeral parlor tale for your loved ones).

But back to current projects: The Hubster has begun to hang a chair rail in the dining room. It's looking pretty sharp. Plus, he put up the first wall decoration in the new space. It's a mirror surrounded by driftwood that I bought from a catalog a few years ago. I know, how passé, but I did get it on clearance after drooling over it at full price for months.

But after hanging it, Mr. H and I were at odds. I said it was crooked (and how embarrassing for someone named LevelHead). Hubby said it was level; he claimed double-checking the mounting screws several times before drilling. Slowly, both of us started remembering the hanging of this mirror in the old house -- turns out the driftwood is not all the same length, so it appears to be off kilter when hung.

So now, how do we get it to appear level? Our first idea is to wrap tape around one of the screws so it sits just slightly higher on one side. We'll attempt this brainstorm tomorrow, if time allows. Mr. H is about to start teaching next week, so my live-in handyman is about to go all academic on me. But he can't leave me hanging on this one (haha -- this renovation humor kills!).

On another note, I put on two more coats of spray paint on the shower pan -- it's looking better and better. I think one additional coat should do it, although the toxicity of the application (man, it stinks to high heaven, which is awfully close to the ozone layer it's depleting) may be taking years away from our planet's life span.

Next, I'd like to pick out a color for the foyer. Mr. Hubby also had the idea of painting pinstripes of white in the space. Genius!! Either I or HGTV is wearing off on him, and I couldn't be prouder ...

The dining room chair rail looks great. But can I get an amen on the mirror not looking level?

The shower pan is almost ready for its close-up.






No comments:

Post a Comment