Thursday, August 29, 2013

Where's My Present??

It's my birthday today. Remember when the anniversary of coming into this world was the most important day of the year? We were so excited to be another year older and one year closer to ... what exactly?

We had our meals prepared and presented to us three times a day; we didn't have to work, but rather got to spend the day learning about this world AND got to play outside. We didn't have to do laundry, pay bills or fight with our spouse. Is it really worth all that to be able to set our own sleeping hours? Heck, now we'd kill for someone to put us down for a nap every afternoon.

So here I am contemplating being another year older. After my cancer scare last year, of course I'm extremely grateful that I'm here at all. But one can't help but ponder about life goals and the legacy that will be left behind one day. I haven't cured any horrible diseases, invented any life-changing products or even had a major impact on my local community.

But I have the most wonderful husband and daughter, whose love lifts me up every day. And I try to give that love back as much as I can. I also try to be a good person when I'm out in the world -- doing the right thing and being honest and caring.

I make lots of mistakes, for sure, but my intentions are almost always pure (I may have wished ill will on a contractor or two during this reno, but not very often).

So today, I want to appreciate being on this earth for another year and taking time to smell those flowers that the neighborhood deer haven't decimated.

To paraphrase one of my favorite quotes: life isn't a dress rehearsal. Here's to hoping I'm just getting started in the second act of my play ...

Next post: how I may need to toss all this life-affirming crap and kill the dog for what she's doing to our new living room rug.

No comments:

Post a Comment