Monday, August 12, 2013

One Brain Cell Short of a Full Can

Wow, I didn't realize it had been so long since my last post. Time flies when you're getting your girl back to school. I also returned to my part-time job at the school. So it's basically been a scholastic BTS celebration at the LevelHead house.

But we didn't let reno endeavors get pushed completely aside over the weekend. We were all about the paint. Mr. Hubby painted the living and dining rooms, which I'll post tomorrow, while I pushed the latex envelope a bit more.

When we bought the house in the spring, one of the first ideas I had was to change the color of the shower pan that was in LevelHead Jr.'s  bathroom. It was kind of a dingy tan color, which I of course wanted to make, you guessed it .... white. But how? So I did some research online, and as we all know, the internet never lies. So when numerous people said I could spray paint the shower bed, I jumped all over it, given my recent ''if it doesn't move, spray paint it'' attitude.

The brand on the shower pan is Swanstone; and the insignia says it's ''solid surface'', but what does that mean? So I asked Ms. Google yet another question, and she informed me it's basically pressed plastic.

Off I went to the hardware store and purchased Krylon's spray paint designed specifically to adhere to plastic. I then returned home and began protecting every non-shower pan surface I could. Newspaper was taped to the tiled shower walls; a sheet went on the floor. Towels went on top of the vanity. I've spray painted enough grass outside to know that the aerosol can go crazy, so I knew trying to spray paint inside was pretty ludicrous. But how else could I get the dang thing white?

So I sprayed and sprayed -- man, is that stuff ever toxic. I had my mask on with the windows open and the fan going, but I still killed off some brain cells in the process. All that and it didn't even adhere the way I was hoping. There are dingy spots still showing though the white. But I'm not giving up so fast (that may be the dead brain cells talking). Next, I'm going to look for an epoxy paint made for plastic. And if I can't find that, I'll give the painter-and-primer-in-one a try.

Now, I know what you're thinking. The first shower, and the paint is going to start running like kindergartners trying to get to recess. And that may be exactly what happens. But I've got to give it a try. Plus, I can buy one of those non-skid pads so at least LHJ's feet won't turn white with every shower. Now that's a mother's love.

Tomorrow I'll update you on Mr. Hubby's successful weekend painting ...

Before and after shots of the shower floor (although the ultimate ''after'' shot won't be taken until I'm satisfied with the result).





No comments:

Post a Comment