Tuesday, October 22, 2013

There's an Elephant in the Room!

But we're talking about this elephant all the time!

It's our new giant entertainment center, built by none other than the oh-so-humble Mr. Honest. He had originally scheduled us for early December since he had a cabinet job to do first for another couple. But unfortunately for them, their not-so-great handyman installed warped hardwood floors throughout the kitchen, which all have to be ripped out and replaced.

More sympathetic, I could not be. I only hope that their handyman is turned into a gnat in his next life for such shoddy work. But our world is full of yin and yang: their delay has become our windfall -- more than a month early!

It's a beauty, too. I found the design on Houzz (we've discussed my obsession with that website before, haven't we)? All I had to do is show the picture to Mr. Honest, and he was all over it like irate homeowners on an incompetent floor installer.

And the great part is that we were able to have this piece custom-made because Mr. H constructed our kitchen cabinets at such a discount. In fact, the cabinets plus the entertainment center still cost us less than just the cabinet estimate from Lowe's. So my advice to any of you gentle readers considering a kitchen reno: get a quote from a customer builder before you automatically go with the big box store. You might just be surprised.

On another note, I've decided the foyer needs another coat of paint. Ugh. It's not even the work that bothers me; it's the inability to mark it off my to-do list. I've also been painting trim in the master bedroom, but it's not all that thrilling, so I'll spare you the stroke-by-stroke details.

Today I have a cold that I'm pretending not to have. But I am taking it fairly easy. So in lieu of major painting, I'm going to fix my outside ghost decorations that were either vandalized by marauding teenagers or mischievous deer (my bet is on the deer).

So without further adieu, here's our elephantine entertainment center. I still need to get the door pulls.

Either the floor is really slanted, or the photographer was drunk.


No comments:

Post a Comment