Thursday, October 31, 2013

Big Plans

Got my first substitute teaching gig today -- Whohoo!! I grabbed it from the SubFinder website before anyone had a chance to take it away from me!

On the home front, I want to start tackling one room at a time -- as much as I can. This doing a little here and a little there is leaving me feeling disorganized and unproductive.

First room on the docket? The foyer. I'm about 80% done with the painting -- still need to touch up the areas that had the most joint compound and are refusing to accept the paint. But once I get that complete, it's on to the floor.

The entryway has slate tile -- dark, dark slate tiles. Yes, I know, they're expensive. But they're so totally not my taste, but with only a limited reno budget at this point, I don't want to replace them. What's the next best thing?? Paint them!

I know that the big problem with painted floors is adhesion. But I've also been hearing a lot about a certain kind of paint that was designed by this woman in England: Annie Sloan. It's called chalk paint, a very matte paint that she created to be used on a lot of surfaces without the need for sanding, priming -- basically, any of the boring prep work that takes all the fun out of creative painting.

So my peanut brain started wondering if anyone has used chalk paint on slate tile. And thanks to the oh-so-reliable internet, I found several blogs where woman used Annie Sloan paint with great results -- some even in their foyers.

Lucky for me, there's a boutique in our small town that carries AS paint, and thanks to my friend Ellen who agreed to be dragged along, I purchased a can in a cream color.

So this is my next project. The hard part is finding the right time to paint. The bloggers recommend not walking on it for two days. The electricians are coming tomorrow and the shower door installers on Monday. Hmmm, gonna have to think on that one ...

Hope everyone is enjoying a safe and happy Halloween! Our town's trick-or-treating has been postponed until tomorrow, so the fun and candy will be extended 24 hours!

The slate floor as is. Can you say dark (and dirty)?
 
The hopefully ultimate in paint applications: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!!







No comments:

Post a Comment