Friday, April 26, 2013

Should We or Shouldn't We?

Mr. Hubby did a little more tiling in LevelHead Jr's bathroom yesterday. It's not looking so hot -- some not-so-small gaps between tiles, a few crooked. Please understand that I say this fully realizing that I could do no better, probably a lot worse.

So what do we do now? Mr. Hubby is removing what he installed, but do we try it again ourselves or hire a professional?? The whole point of this renovation is to do as much as possible ourselves, but it's also important to know your strengths and limitations. I dare anyone to teach financial analysis better than my award-winning better half. So does it really matter that tiling is not his forte'?

At one point, Mr. Hubby suggested finishing the whole shower and seeing if the grout covers up the imperfections. But that's a big IF and a chance this Lazy Perfectionist is not willing to take. What's a Lazy Perfectionist, you ask? It's a term coined by the Hubster that describes my need to have jobs done perfectly but my complete lack of motivation to do them myself.

The vexing part is that he tiled the kitchen backsplash in our current house, and it's fabulous -- can't imagine a pro doing it any better. So why is this shower so much more difficult?

We don't have the answer to that yet. I stopped by the library and got a book on tiling. I'm sure reading a few pages about installation will more than equal the years of experience a professional gets on the job everyday.

So maybe a compromise is in order. We'll try it again this weekend, and if it doesn't look any better, I'll have to call in the big tile guns.

I should warn you that projects where Mr. Hubby and I work closely together usually end up in shouting matches, so be prepared in my next post for a commentary on divorce lawyers.

On a happier note, we're planning to go to a local countertop shop that's having a weekend remnant sale -- hoping we can get a deal on quartz to help offset some of these unforeseen costs. Yeah, I hear ya, good luck with that ...

No comments:

Post a Comment