Wednesday, April 24, 2013

There's a Whole World Out There!

I know it's only been two days, but it sure was nice getting back to work this morning and enjoying all those sniffling kids again. Antibiotics are a wonderful thing!!! I don't take them very often, but when I do, I thank God for Dr. Alexander Fleming and his moldy petri dishes.

During my down time yesterday, I made a whiny call to Tall Drink of Water, our errant wall removal contractor. Never underestimate  the power of a woman on the verge of tears to get things done. He called me back a few minutes after our initial conversation to tell me he and Polar Pop would be at the house today to do some prep work in the basement.

This got me thinking: I have a friend who uses menstrual cramps as a sickness excuse with her male boss because she knows it will immediately shut him up. What man is going to follow up with questions: "Do they really hurt that bad? Can you rate the pain on a scale from one to ten? Do you have the kind that makes you nauseous or just the aching kind?'' Ain't gonna happen. He just takes her word for it and gets off the phone toot-quick.

I hate to let such a good idea go to waste, so I'm trying to figure out a way to use menstrual woes as a way to get TDW to do our work faster. Now, those of you who followed my cancer scare blog last summer know that these pains are impossible for me to have at this point, but HE doesn't know that. But I'm still not sure how to work them into the conversation with the intention of getting our walls down more quickly. I'll have to mull that one over. If I could see him in person, I might approach with a heating pad, bottle of Midol and some unprovoked yelling -- that would probably get him to agree to anything. But over the phone ... not so simple.

Since the electrician has a female assistant who might follow up with some unwelcome questions about my ''woman problems'', I chose the email route with her and have scheduled the rough-in for next Tuesday.

Tomorrow, if I keep feeling better, I hope to actually do a little work myself ...

No comments:

Post a Comment