Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Bouncy, Wouncy

We're in the house -- barely. Of course, there's the usual -- boxes everywhere, expletives flying while looking for things that just happen to be temporarily stored on the opposite floor from where you are.

But it's the lack of kitchen that's the real bear. We have a makeshift café in the laundry room. There's nothing like watching your Cheerios and Tide become next-door neighbors. I keep dreading the meal where I take a chug of bleach instead of milk.

I find myself sneaking out to buy meals for LevelHead Jr. and myself when Mr. Hubby's not around. He's all about lectures re blowing the already precarious budget with unnecessary fast food purchases. I'm all about not having to search 10 minutes for the peanut butter, only to find I don't have a knife to cut the crust off the bread for LHJ.

But even more than the non-existent kitchen is the lack of internet. It's amazing how much we rely on that technology, and when it's not working, it makes for irritable roommates. Do you know what it's like to live with an eight-year-old who can't watch Taylor Swift videos on YouTube ad naseum? And I'm missing Facebook more than I ever thought I would.

Sure, I can use my phone, but the idea of using up my data plan to see the vacations my FB friends are taking is more than my cheapskate self can handle.

That's why LHJ and I are at the library right now, taking advantage of our tax-provided free internet. The connection's not very strong, so this musing might actually get posted next week.

But I digress from house happenings. Our hardwood floors have been installed! They look beautiful, but the floating floor aspect is a little disconcerting. We couldn't have nailed-down hardwoods without replacing all the subflooring, and the budget just wouldn't allow for that. So we opted for a floating, engineered floor.

The installer said people walking on it wouldn't be able to tell the difference; that may be true if they've never been in a bouncy house before. Like when the dog runs by in pursuit of a deer outside the window, I find myself bobbing up and down like an ocean buoy.

And the part of the floor near the entrance is downright unlevel. Even Mr. Hubby notices it, so it's just not my lazy perfectionist self.

So the installation manager is going to stop by with the installer this afternoon to check it out. I hate to be the demanding consumer, but we paid a lot for these floors, and I want them to be as perfect as possible.

I'll let you know how it goes. Not looking forward to that conversation, but I guess it's part of the game...

We're also getting part of our cabinets today -- SO excited about that.

Here are a couple of pictures of our floors, beautiful but bouncy. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment