Saturday, June 15, 2013

Negative Nellie

I have to admit it. After all the misadventures we've had along this renovation journey, I've become so negative. And that's really saying something because I was one of the most pessimistic people you'd ever met BEFORE we bought this house.

Turns out the countertop people will not be able to measure until June 24th and won't be able to install until July 3rd. And I had promised Mr. Hubby a beautiful kitchen before his birthday at the end of the month. Part of me thinks I'm the worst General Contractor ever to hold a measuring tape, while the other part of me realizes that I am a victim of circumstances.

I couldn't have the quartz countertops measured for until that portion of the cabinets was installed (the island will have a butcher block top). And with all the health problems of Mr. Honest, I couldn't rely on a specific installation date. In hindsight, I should have made a countertop measurement appointment a while back and then cancelled it if I had to -- but who knew they'd be busy? Aren't we in hard economic times? Not according to the countertop world. Everybody's renovating and building to beat the band.

But now I'm wondering if my negative thoughts are inviting into my life the exact outcome I'm trying to avoid. Like this morning, for instance.

The AT&T guy was supposed to install internet service. I just KNEW it wasn't going to happen -- and it didn't. Turns out our telephone wiring outside the house is circa 18th century. Plus the squirrels in the neighborhood have been hosting buffets on our lines. So it all has to be upgraded and repaired before the technician can even begin the inside work.

So I ask you: did I bring on the negative outcome because I was thinking negative thoughts? The Deepak Chopras of the world say you attract what you think. Maybe this whole renovation might have gone smoothly if I had been Pollyanna since the start. Who knows?

And it turns out that Mr. Honest, trusty cabinet maker, will not be working on the remaining cabinets for a while because his mother had a stroke. Did I bring this on to his family just by hiring him? First he's in intensive care and now his mother?

I just don't know what to think.

So I'm sitting here in my friend's house, cat sitting, taking advantage of her wireless router and contemplating the power of positive thinking. Maybe I need a good Norman Vincent Peale kick in the bootie. Maybe if I believe things will happen quickly and efficiently, they will.

It's worth a try 'cause this groveling in negativity stinks. So I'd like to introduce my new Patty LaBelle self, who's adopting A New Attitude!!



No comments:

Post a Comment