Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I'm Really White Trash

Not too much happening in the reno world today -- but had the pure joy of SHOPPING yesterday: for Mr. Hubby's birthday gifts and for bathroom vanity faucets. And I did go to a thrift store boutique just for me!! I haven't done that in months, but luckily I didn't forget how to maneuver my way through a great shop and have three cute shirts to prove it.

I felt a little guilty about the self-absorption purchases, but it's nothing compared to the guilt I've experienced these past two weeks since our move. It's a secret I'm not proud of, and I don't feel comfortable sharing it. But I also know that confession is good for the soul, so I will trust that you don't think less of me after reading this (well, less than you already do).

Since losing our kitchen in the old house, I have become an .... environmental criminal. I've put more holes in the ozone than gophers on a golf course. Plastic plates, cups, forks, bowls -- you name it, I've purchased the single-use variety.

Before the move, our recycling bins easily outweighed our regular trash by leaps and pounds. Now, there's nothing there but the cardboard containers from all our frozen dinners. And our regular trash looks like its own mini-landfill.

I'm not proud of this by any stretch. Having a carbon footprint the size of Cinderella's stepsisters is not something to brag about. All I can do is promise that within two weeks' time, we should have a working kitchen. And I'll do everything I can to make up for all the environmental damage I've wreaked on our planet.

But for now, don't judge me. As the Bible almost said:  Let he who is without sin cast the first Solo cup ...



No comments:

Post a Comment