Saturday, June 29, 2013

GC Musings ...

I don't know if I have kept readers apprised of what's happening with the hardwood floors. I am just NOT happy at all with the way they feel in the entryway even after Guido and his team tried to fix them (they're very bumpy and are clearly not level in any sense of the word, which is kind of ironic for a girl who has the very word LEVEL in her name, but I digress ...).

The installation manager for the flooring company came to look at them this week and agreed that they were not cool (or he could have just said that to keep a picky, and clearly insane, homeowner from going loo-loo right in front of him). Nevertheless, he's going to have Guido come back with his family of installers (literally, they're his family: two sons and a nephew) and take up that part of the flooring.

With the hindsight of a true General Contractor, I wish we had just taken out all the sub-par sub-flooring, put in plywood and installed real hardwoods. But what can I do now? This so-called floating floor is way too expensive to replace -- at this stage, anyway. So we'll be living in a bouncy house for quite the while, lottery winnings notwithstanding.

On a more positive note, I thought of a solution to our off-center island (see previous post). I'm going to ask Mr. Honest to build a separate cabinet on casters with a hinged top that will hold our recycling. It'll balance out the space well; plus, we'll be able to move it out of the way or even wheel it to the garage when needed. Pretty good idea.  See, I didn't earn the General Contractor Rookie of the Year award for nothing -- although when the judges feel our floating floor, they may strip me of my title, sash and crown).

So today it's all about stripping wallpaper. I'd love to get the whole master bedroom done by the end of the day, but that might be a little ambitious, so I'll just get as far as I can.

Tomorrow we're going to actually move things into the kitchen. We'll put plywood on top of the island, put the microwave in place, move some staples to the refrigerator -- basically pretend that we have a working kitchen. Who needs a sink anyway? They're totally overrated, IMHO. And I may be able to make up environmentally for all the plastic we're throwing away by having huge water savings ...


No comments:

Post a Comment