Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Someone, Set Me Free!!

I tried to be positive, I really did. If you read my last post, you know that I was going to try the Pollyanna approach -- expect good things and those good, if not great, things will happen.

So when I was texted by AT&T Sunday night to follow up on the unsuccessful internet installation attempt on Saturday, I imagined the message telling me that a technician would be onsite bright and early Monday morning to finish the job.

Fat chance. The message told me that a technician would not be arriving until Friday -- FRIDAY -- for my ''rescheduled'' appointment. Oh no, I felt the transformation coming -- from mild-mannered homeowner to Quick Bitch, a name affectionately coined by Mr. Hubby. The second part of the name is pretty obvious, but the speedy part comes from how quickly, 0-60, I can make a transition to the dark side And boy, did AT&T deserve all QB could give.

So I spent the next 58 minutes on the phone trying desperately to convince the monopolistic bureaucrats that ours was not a "rescheduled'' job, but a continuation of one started and dropped on Saturday. You would think it would be pretty simple, but no, it took conversations with a customer service representative, her supervisor and his manager before sanity was restored.

Problem solved. Not quite. The technician -- who really is a nice guy, don't get me wrong -- has been at the house for 13 hours and counting between yesterday and today. I wish I was exaggerating, but alas, it's true. Our house was built in 1978 but the surrounding neighborhood's infrastructure apparently predates The Iron Age.

I was stuck at the house yesterday and today, patiently waiting for the tech to knock on my door to celebrate success. Not happening. So when Mr. Hubby arrived early from work, I pounced on him like a stay-at-home mom of five, desperate for freedom.

So here I am at Starbucks (more free internet) enjoying a strawberry smoothie and contemplating a desperate call to the cable company to see how quickly they could install service. I'm sure it will be another two weeks. What will come faster: the countertops or internet? Let the betting begin. At this point, I think the countertops may have better odds.

I'll try to get Pollyanna back, I really will. But life sure makes it hard to be positive, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment