Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Have To Move Again Today??

Yesterday has to be one of the most exhausting days I've ever had in my whole pathetic life.

The movers arrived at 8:00 a.m. and immediately began loading their truck -- they didn't talk very much, but they worked furiously and had all the furniture loaded by about 9:00. Then it was off to the new house to meet the full truck and act as triage for the incoming stuff.

Mr. Hubby had already met the Direct TV guy around 7:30 at the new house (if you read my last post, you know we weren't too happy with our local satellite service, but this technician was friendly. hard-working and actually arrived early!). There was a moment of tension when he worried aloud if all the trees would make reception impossible (we can communicate with men on the moon, but a tall tree can zap satellite reception??). He eventually found a spot that worked, thank goodness, so all is right with our excessive television viewing habits.

Somewhere in the middle of the movers and satellite guy, the flooring team came to start installation of the hardwood floors. Talk about chaos -- it was raining men, which could have been fun if it weren't so crazy.

Something told me to head back to the old house after LevelHead Jr. and LevelHead Nana returned from dance camp, and I'm so glad I did. LevelHead Jr. was in a state of shock when she saw all the empty rooms in her beloved home. I sat with her while she cried and cried. It was heart-breaking to see this sensitive child deal with all the upheaval in her life. Luckily, a friend had suggested we make a life book of the old house, so she had taken tons of pictures that morning that we'll print and add to the book.

Things got a whole lot easier when we went back to the other house and checked out the new 55'' television Mr. Hubby had desperately wanted. We found a clearance floor model that yours levelheaded got at a discounted price. It's amazing what a 55'' Sponge Bob can do for a sad girl's disposition. We let her watch and watch --  I know, I know, she shouldn't watch too much TV, but come on, this was a special occasion.

We all slept pretty darn well our first night in the new place -- even LevelHead Jr. -- I guess exhaustion will do that for you.

Today it's more moving of the small stuff. Mr. Hubby likes to think of himself as a 20-year-old body builder, so he refused to let the movers handle anything beyond big furniture pieces. And at our age, you can't really ask people to help you move -- everyone's got back problems, sciatica, arthritis -- you get the idea. So it's us lugging carload after carload.

Right now, I'm enjoying a few minutes of peace while I write this, sitting in the old, empty house. But I guess break time is over, so it's back to work. I hope today is easier than yesterday -- is that too much to ask??

Here's are two pics of the new house in all its chaotic glory ...






No comments:

Post a Comment