Thursday, June 27, 2013

Where's My Lithium??

Could I be manic-depressive? I'm beginning to wonder.

How could a day that started out so well have become so crappy by mid-afternoon?

Smoke and Mirrors, my electrician buddies, were at the house at 7:10 a.m., a little early for my taste, but I'd rather have them crowing with the roosters than not at all. So I invited them in with open arms and a mini-bathrobe. Nothing like seeing a 40+ year-old woman scantily clad to short out an electrician's connections for the day.

Despite my blinding morning appearance, they were working their little hearts out, making me smile as each light came to life after being dead for so long. Then came the pendants for over the island (pictures of my beautiful island below). Turns out the pendant kit I purchased was not going to work for three individual lights, so it was off to Lowe's to see if I could find something else that would suffice. I have dreamed of this kitchen for years, but now I'm picking out major lighting on the fly.

I was able to find individual kits using the same globes I originally purchased; and due to the lack of police coverage early morning, I made the trip to and fro in record time. I love a problem easily solved.

By the time I returned, the plumber had arrived to install our new bathroom vanity. Well, at least that was his intention. Turns out the sinks are under-mount, and TJ the plumber likes those kinds of vessels about as much as a kid likes a vegetable buffet.

He said the under-mounting always occurs on other jobs before he arrives and that he'd be glad to get them hooked up once they're ready. Plus, Mr. Hubby and I could not find the instructions and clamps for holding said sinks for the life of us. So TJ did as much work as he could, then waved goodbye, clearly knowing that his availability during July's holiday week will be limited.

So now we're without a kitchen AND a bathroom sink/faucets. Fabulous.

But the day just kept getting better in a sarcastic and facetious way. Got a call from the scheduling girl at the countertop place. Turns out our quartz is ''in port''', which I'm surmising means that they have no idea where it is and when it's going to arrive for fabrication. She insinuated that it may not be here in time for our installation next Wednesday, which means we'll have to go even longer without a kitchen since the sink is under-mount, and goodness knows, TJ will be MIA, so we will have to wait on the quartz people.

And she also told me that the guy fabricating the butcher block for the island takes much longer than her countertop people, a detail the salesperson failed to mention. So that top will take at least two weeks from order until installation.

Finally, I listened to Mr. Hubby and ignored my gut regarding the final resting place of the island. I thought it should be more in the center of the kitchen; the Hubster was convinced that I wouldn't like having the post (holding up our perpendicular load-bearing walls) alone in the middle of the space. He was wrong. So now the island is awkwardly off-center and looks weird. I'll have to think hard for a solution to this problem. Word of advice: never let a guy who has no background or interest in design make your decisions. Just sayin' ...

But, back on the happy side of my split personality, the recessed lighting, pendants and under-cabinet LED illumination all look fabulous.

So I guess home renovation is the same as life: you take the good with the bad, the yin with the yang, the crazy with the sane. So in a few minutes I'll be taking the Corona with the lime -- might as well end the day on a good note. There will be plenty of time for the inevitable bad tomorrow.

My beautiful kitchen island with pendants!! Also here's the vanity without sinks.





No comments:

Post a Comment