Monday, May 6, 2013

I Can't Make This Stuff Up!

Regular readers might remember that last night's post included a wish to the universe (I'm not arrogant enough to think that God has time to answer prayers on house renovation). I simply wanted Tall Drink of Water, our AWOL contractor, to show up healthy and well-fed this morning -- ready for a day of wall removal.

Well, about 8:00 a.m. the phone rings. Guess who? TDW, and he's sick. I'm totally serious. He woke up last night with chills and body aches. I would have laughed hysterically if the tears hadn't been blocking my throat. Some of you may be thinking that I'm creating fodder to make this lame blog a bit more exciting. But, alas, this is my real life and my real renovation.

After TDW's health status update, I spoke to Mr. Honest, the handyman/cabinet maker, to see how our cupboards are coming along. Turns out he hasn't even started them because of stomach problems, insomnia and panic attacks. Am I a contractor jinx? Accept a job from me, and you're doomed to uncontrollable pain and agony? Mr. Honest spent a recent day in the emergency room -- ALL day -- only to be told they can't figure out what's wrong.

I thought the day had pretty much peaked in suckiness until TDW called me mid-morning from the house sounding like death warmed over. I immediately became his mother and lectured him about taking care of himself now so that this illness doesn't turn into something major.

He said he'd take it easy and only work part of the day, and oh, by the way, part of the electrical rough-in is in the way of our future steel beam's home and needs to be removed toot-quick. Now, the only reason I had the electrical work done in the first place is because TDW was taking so long to start. My plan was to hire the electricians AFTER the walls were removed, but that wasn't happening, so I needed some forward moment. Now it's come back to bite me on my dust-covered posterior.

So after a desperate call to the electricians, Smoke and Mirrors will be over tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. to get their annoying wires out of the way. Hope that's not going to break the budget. I kind of think TDW should pay, since it's his procrastination that's caused this unforeseen cost. But I doubt he'll see the righteousness of that argument.

Tomorrow I'm half expecting a phone call from TDW and Mr. Honest, telling me they're now hospital roommates and will be out of commission for the foreseeable future. Don't laugh. At this point, it doesn't really seem that far-fetched ...



No comments:

Post a Comment