Thursday, May 23, 2013

Things Are Happening!!

There's no sweeter sounds in my life at the moment than the melodious hum of a working saw and the rhythmic drumming of a productive hammer.

And I had both in spades yesterday as the drywaller and tiler were working their tradesman magic. Zannder (I was told by the drywall journeyman that he prefers two n's in his alter ego's name) and his assistant Hyundai Santa Fe (he's the only contractor so far that's arrived at the house in an SUV instead of a pick-up truck) got all the drywall up in about nine hours.

That included framing of the steel header that I didn't realize was supposed to be built before drywalling began. That would be General Contractor Mistake #2, but since Zannder also has some woodworking skills, I got off pretty easy -- with no delays and minimal additional cost.

Now on to the potential kitchen design changes. I called Mr. Honest, Cabinet Maker Like No Other, and he and Kip haven't started on the Lazy Susan yet, so I told him to stop the presses (or the jigsaw) on that construction. Now I need to call the electricians and see how expensive it would be to move the sink disposal and dishwasher outlets to the island -- and the cost of moving the pendant boxes.

We're also in garage sale mode, so the current house is in complete and utter chaos. But if we can get rid of a bunch of stuff and make a tidy profit in the process, it's worth the time and effort.

I'll stop by the house today and get some pictures of the progress. I wish I didn't have so much on my mind right now with the move and LevelHead Jr's end-of-school projects that I could actually enjoy the fruits of the contractors' labor more. But right now, my brain is overloaded with everything yet to be done.

Plus, LevelHead Canine ran away again this morning and is reeking havoc in the neighborhood as we speak. I need Calgon to take me away, but going to the store to see if they still make the stuff is just one more thing I'd have to do. Guess I'll have to settle for a deep breath ...


No comments:

Post a Comment