Thursday, May 30, 2013

I love it, I hate it!

My head is absolutely spinning. I'm waking up at about 2:00 each morning, panicking about everything that has to be accomplished by next Friday. Moving is stressful enough, but add a renovation on top of it, and I'm ready for a room at my friendly neighborhood mental facility.

Thank goodness for an old-fashioned to-do list -- the kind where you write it down and reference it throughout the day without clicks or apps.

One of the things on my list today was to pick out and purchase a washer and dryer. How tough could that be? Go online and see what brand has the best reviews and purchase it at a hopefully reasonable price. I mean, shopping is supposed to be the fun part of renovation, right? So I thought until I visited amazon.com, checking out reviews for clothes cleaners. How people purchasing the same product in the same year can have such disparate opinions is beyond my frazzled brain.

One reviewer gushes over the appliance like he's been fixed up on match.com, while two inches down, an angry woman would rather be boiled in hot Tide than have to use a certain dryer again. What's a simple consumer to do?

I eventually went with an average-priced duo from Whirlpool. If this brand has been the bane of your existence, please keep your thoughts to yourself, or better yet, go online and share your anger with other unsuspecting review readers.

On a less uncertain note, the drywallers finished yesterday, and although I won't know until we get it all painted, it looks fabulous. Thank you, Angie's List! And Zannder, my drywall buddy, was nice enough to whip up our dried up joint compound into a delicious mousse that glides on the wall like butta. If you're reading this, Z, thank you!

Tomorrow, the tile guy is coming back to make my grout white (I know I'm difficult, but I know what I like). And the flooring guys are dropping off the hardwood to acclimate. Apparently, flooring needs a few days to decide if your environs are worthy of their beauty. We had to go with engineered hardwood. Not our first choice, but because our subflooring is so messed up, if we wanted to use the real thing, we'd have to replace all the subflooring. Unfortunately, our budget and psyches can't handle that.

While I'm on the hardwood subject, I want to send a shout-out to LevelHead Cousin and Husband. He brought a sample of the flooring they used in their beautiful home addition for us to look at. And it turns out he spent his college summers working in his grandparents' hardwood manufacturing mill. He really educated us, and we would have loved to put his knowledge to use, but our subflooring says otherwise.

Back to the to-do list: we have to be super-efficient tomorrow because LevelHead Jr's birthday is Saturday and her dance recital is on Sunday, so our weekend will be fun but not too productive.

It's time to hit the sack for me -- let the insomnia begin!




No comments:

Post a Comment