Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Own TV Show??

Well, the tiling guy is going to save Mr. Hubby's behind -- and his backside is being rescued for the low, low price of $100. That's the cost of having a professional prep LevelHead Jr's shower walls with thinset (tile adhesive) to even out the Hubster's tile mishap. Not too pricey, considering we could have been faced with replacing all the cement board and waterproofing, not to mention Mr. Hubby's relief of not having to hear my ''I told you so"s for years to come.

The tile pro will be at the house tomorrow morning to begin the actual tiling process. So excited to see something actually constructed, not destructed. This room could actually be 80% renovated by the time LevelHead Nana comes to visit in early June. Need to start shopping for shower doors ...

We received even more good news today. Got a call from Crazy Chair Drywall Guy, saying that he had a job cancel, so we got moved up in his schedule! This is the guy who fell in love with our used Scandinavian chair -- who knew his love of squeaky furniture would be so helpful to our reno?

CCDG is the owner of the company and won't actually be doing the work. He brought a colleague with him this afternoon to drop off materials so they can hit the ground running tomorrow morning. His name is Chris, but he said he prefers to go by Zander. I asked if that was his middle name. No, he answered, he was just meant to be a Zander. He's like a girl born into a boy's body. But in his case, he's a Zander born into a Chris body.

During their time at the house, we talked about flipping houses, which they've both done, and the headaches of being a General Contractor. Zander suggested that I start a public access show about house renovations/flipping. HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE??? I'd have my own little HGTV world. But where do you get the money? Do you have to finance your own show? Maybe I could get sponsors from my various suppliers and contractors. It's a dream worth considering ...

But tonight I don't have television on my mind -- I'm too obsessed with my kitchen design and potentially changing it. Crazy Chair Drywall Guy was talking before Zander got there about various kitchens he had worked in and on and suggested I might want to remove the peninsula I had planned and make the island bigger instead. It's actually a fabulous idea, and I'm kind of miffed I didn't think of it myself.

So tomorrow my first call will be to my cabinet maker, Mr. Honest. He's out of the hospital and at home resting, and hopefully, supervising his son Kip's work. Last we talked, Kip hadn't built the Lazy Susan yet. And since the LS would not be needed in this new design, for once I hope things are moving slowly.

I'll probably be up half the night daydreaming of kitchen cabinets. But I guess there are worse things to be thinking about ... like what kind of illnesses the drywall guys are probably coming down with right now. I don't exactly have a track record of healthy subcontractors ....

Can't wait to give you a tile update tomorrow.







1 comment: