Wednesday, May 29, 2013

It's Really Happening!

Yesterday was a day of celebration for the LevelHead Family. We finally closed on our current house!!! We were pretty sure it was going to happen, but with almost two months between accepted offer and closing date, a lot of unforeseen calamities could have taken place: the buyers could have hightailed it back to their native Korea, never to be seen again; LevelHead Canine could have taken such a huge dookie as to leave the house uninhabitable; Mr. Hubby and I could have punched holes in the walls during one of our many renovation tiffs ...

But none of these things occurred (or have been discovered as of yet), so the title company put the check into our sweaty little hands and off we went to the credit union. As long as the entire banking industry doesn't crash before we can apply the money to our new mortgage, we're safe.

Do you see what being a General Contractor has done to me? I immediately jump to the worst case scenario and then multiply that by twenty. And I was a negative person to begin with -- so you can imagine the depths of my pessimism. But there's no time for wallowing in my deep, dark imagination. Too much moving has to take place within the next ten days.

Now that the closing has happened, the reality of the move has hit me like Pat Benatar with her best shot. We're really leaving the only house that LevelHead Jr. has ever known. And we're actually going to move into the kitchen-less house that previous to yesterday only seemed to be an HGTV set that I visited for my on-camera moments.

We have no cabinets or countertops, no appliances, no floors ... If you had told me two months ago that we wouldn't have a fully functioning kitchen by now, I would have laughed. But that was before my Intensive Renovation 101 class began. And I'm nowhere near the final exam. I wonder how long I can stay in the class before I'm given an Incomplete?

But I did have a good meeting this morning with Mr. Honest, recovering cabinet maker. They still can't slow down his heart, but he looks so much better than he did before his hospital stay. And he told me he's ready for a paint color for the some of the cabinets -- PAINT COLOR!!! I've never been made so happy by two words since Mr. Hubby said ''I do". (Gotta stick in language like that occasionally; he sometimes reads this blog when I berate him long enough.)

And Zannder, drywall aficionado and sometimes artist (he does these drywall reliefs that are tres cool), is sanding as we speak and will finish the job today.

So we are making progress, just not quickly enough to outrun the semi full of moving anxiety that's barreling at us at full throttle. By the way, does anybody have any extra boxes they can send through cyberspace??

No comments:

Post a Comment