Monday, May 13, 2013

My Kingdom For a Drywall Hanger

Despite my concern for Mr. Honest and his health, I have to keep moving on this renovation, or we'll be celebrating Christmas with chestnuts and figgy pudding from the microwave.

Next on the list: drywall contractor. Tall Drink of Water and Polar Pop recommended a guy whom they call the Drywall Guru. He's apparently a temperamental artist with his medium being sheetrock. He's been known to walk off the job if things aren't just right, and he held a grudge again Polar Pop for months because PP's work was wasn't up to Drywall Guru's exacting standards.

But patching is his forte, so he seemed to be the perfect guy for the job. Unfortunately, like all creative geniuses, he doesn't live in the real world and obviously finds phones to be a major hindrance to his art. I left two messages over three days, neither of which he returned. If only I had his home address ...

TDW and PP told me that there's only one person who can consistently reach DG in his unearthly realm, and I just so happen to be friends with his wife. So I asked the husband to call The DaVinci of Drywall to see if he was taking new jobs.

I still heard nothing. But finally on Saturday, he called back. I was expecting an ethereal voice from beyond, but he was actually a nice, normal-sounding guy. And like all geniuses in their field, he's in very high demand and isn't taking new jobs.

So I hit the ground running this morning and called four contractors from Angie's List. One doesn't ''do'' drywall anymore, two haven't returned my phone call but one actually made an appointment with me for tomorrow. He sounded nice over the phone; let's just hope he's not booked for the foreseeable future once he sees our Swiss cheese ceiling -- there are now holes in the kitchen, living room and dining room drywall.

I also forced myself to find out about cabinet options (Mr. Honest is still in critical care; they're now suspecting cancer since they haven't been able to pinpoint a heart defect). I went to Lowe's, and a nice guy helped me put pricing to my cupboard dreams. Turns out Mr. Honest was giving me one heck of a deal -- just one more reason he's a great guy. I'm going to see another cabinet maker tomorrow, but I'm sure the cost will be more than Lowe's.

Wish me luck with my drywall meeting tomorrow. I need some forward movement -- we've got three weeks before moving. I'm getting scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment