Thursday, May 2, 2013

Let's Pause For a Moment

In the midst of our remodeling debris, both literally and figuratively, it's easy to get wrapped up in day-to-day construction minutia and forget what really matters.

So please indulge me in a little reflection. It was one year ago tomorrow that I missed work because of intense pain in my abdomen. By Sunday, even though the pain had subsided substantially, I knew that something was seriously wrong. Being a total cheapskate, I didn't want to go to the emergency room, so we headed to our neighborhood quick care. And that is when Health Saga 2012 began.

After an ambulance ride to the hospital, CT scan and ultrasound, I was told by an ER physician that I had ovarian cancer. This was confirmed by the gynecologist we saw the following Monday, at which time we were referred to an oncologist in The Big City.

After two months of thinking I had cancer, as we awaited surgery with the world's busiest oncologist, my prayers were answered when we found out I didn't have cancer but a Low Malignancy Potential -- a small chance of becoming malignant. But I had so much yanked out of me while under the knife, I don't think there's anything left to which the bad cells can attach.

Anyway, post-surgery I have tried to embrace life more fully and be more adventurous. First, I quit a job that wasn't feeding my passion. Next, I started working at LevelHead Jr's school. It fills my heart, if not my wallet.

And buying this house is also part of post-cancer-scare life. I've always wanted to renovate a house, so why not? If it's a great big money pit, I'll spend the rest of my days repaying Mr. Hubby both financially and emotionally. Lucky for me, I found a house in a neighborhood that's always been the Hubster's favorite, so it didn't take too much convincing. So it's a gamble I'm willing to take.

And despite the setbacks and unforeseen costs, I have been loving every minute of it. Yesterday I was in Lowe's trying to find range hood specs for the electrician while simultaneously taking a call from Tall Drink of Water -- I could not have been happier. I must have looked like a lunatic walking around the big box store with a smile on my face.

Mr. Hubby says my face lights up when I talk about the trials and tribulations of construction life. And it's true. I would love to find a way to do this for a living, but I know that's a stretch. So many factors come into play -- the economy, our local real estate market and our personal finances -- not to mention my total lack of experience.

But I'm trying to live in the moment (another benefit of the cancer scare). And at this minute, I'm pretty pleased with life, no matter what job I hold tomorrow.

Now back to our regular programming ...

No comments:

Post a Comment